Mother's Day is an auspicious occasion celebrated for paying a tribute to the most beautiful and amazing person in the world - mother. In most parts of the world, it is commemorated on the second Sunday in the month of May. With everyone making all efforts to convey their feelings and sentiments for their mothers, the essence and spirits of this festival can be felt in the air as well. Gift stores, markets, and shopping complexes are flooded with all sorts of flowers, gifts, and cards to choose from. On a lighter note, you can express your deep thoughts and emotions for your momma by reading aloud quotes and sayings. Alternatively, these can be penned in greetings cards and gift tags also. Check out some generous and thoughtful sayings and proverbs listed in the lines below. Also, find quotes listed by mothers of famous celebrities. Surely, they will further enlighten your day and complete your celebration.
Sayings and Proverbs
Add more love and admiration to your gifts and greetings cards by including famous mother quotes and sayings.
- Who takes the child by the hand takes the mother by the heart. - German
- The greater love is a mother's; then come dog's; then sweetheart's. - Polish
- An ounce of mother is worth a pound of clergy. - Spanish
- No matter how old a mother is, she watches her middle-aged children for signs of improvement. - Florida Scott-Maxwell
- The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom. - H.W. Beecher
- Let France have good Mothers, and she will have good sons. - Napoleon I
- All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother. - Lincoln
- Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother. - Lin Yutang
- The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness. - Honore’ de Balzac (1799-1850)
- By and large, mothers and housewives are the only workers who do not have regular time off. They are the great vacationless class. - Anne Morrow Lindbergh
- Youth fades; love droops, the leaves of friendship fall; A mother's secret hope outlives them all. - Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809-1894)
- The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother. - Author Unknown
- We only have One Mom, One Mommy, One Mother in this World, One life. Don’t wait for the Tomorrow's to tell Mom, you love her. - Author Unknown
- The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed. - Author Unknown
- Woman knows what man has long forgotten, that the ultimate economic and spiritual unit of any civilization is still the family. - Clare Boothe Luce
- A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take. - Cardinal Mermillod
- The mother is the most precious possessions of the nation, so precious that society advances its highest well-being when it protects the functions of the mother. - Ellen Key
- Making the decision to have a child – it's momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. - Elizabeth Stone
Famous Mothers' Quotes (Ha! Ha!)
- Michelangelo's Mother: "Mike, can’t you paint on walls like other children? Do you have any idea how hard it is to get that stuff off the ceiling?"
- Mona Lisa's Mother: "After all that money your father and I spent on braces, Mona, that's the biggest smile you can give us?"
- Columbus’ Mother: "I don’t care what you’ve discovered Christopher. You still could have written!"
- Napoleon's Mother: "All right, Napoleon. If you aren’t hiding your report card inside your jacket, than take your hand out of there and prove it!"
- Paul Revere's Mother: "I don’t care where you think you have to go, young many. Midnight is past your curfew!"
- Custer's Mother: "Now George, remember what I told you – don’t go biting off more than you can chew!"
- George Washington's Mother: "The next time I catch you throwing money across the Potomac, you can kiss your allowance good-bye!"
- Abraham Lincoln's Mother: "Again with the stovepipe hat, Abe? Can’t you just wear a baseball cap like the other kids?"
- Humpty Dumpty's Mother: "Humpty, If I’ve told you once, I’ve told you a thousand times not to sit on that wall. But would you listen to me? Noooo!"
- Goldilock's Mother: "I’ve got a bill here for a busted chair from the Bear family. You know anything about this, Goldie?"
- Albert Einstein's Mother: "But Albert, it's your senior picture, Can’t you do something about your hair? Styling gel, mousse, something?"
- Babe Ruth's Mother: "Babe, how many times have I told you? Quit playing ball in the house! That's the third broken window this week!"
- Batman's Mothers: "It's a nice car, Bruce, but do you realize how much the insurance is going to be?"
- Superman's Mother: "Clark, your father and I have discussed it, and we’ve decided you can have your own telephone line. Now will you quit spending so much time in all those phone booths?"
- Barney's Mother: "I realize strained plums are your favorite, Barney, but you’re starting to look a little purple."